Monday, March 30, 2009

We've been lucky...

...till now that is. Quinn has never really been sick other than having a slight cold here and there, those not even that bad really. But Saturday night at roughly 9:45pm my sweet little man threw-up for the very first time! :( My poor baby didn't know what to think or do, he'd had some milk about an hour before...this is what he said..."Mommy, I frew-up cheese." :( lol Poor little guy of mine. Then to top it off of course it is my weekend on at work so I had to go to work after all this started. I got a few calls throughout the night from daddy giving me updates, basically that he wasn't sleeping well and how many more times he'd thrown-up.

So I get home on Sunday to a little boy laying in his grandpa's chair, he'd thrown-up 2x since waking at 7am. This was a little after 8am. Now all through this he'd not had a temp, now he starts to get warm. So we watch him. He throws-up for what will be the last time around 9am but then the temp starts to rise and rise and rise. He is clingy and sad and just plain ol sick. He lays with me or daddy most of the day. By about 4pm I decide that I am staying home with him so I call into work, something I hate to do but I'm not leaving him again a 2nd night in a row when he's so sick, just not happening, tore my heart up Saturday night to be sitting at work while he was suffering so.

Now his temps are averaging between 100-101 and not letting up, he is so hot to the touch and I'm getting worried. I call the Ask-A-Nurse line and they go through all their questions and refer me to calling his Dr or the on-call. I do, again get another nurse and go though the 20 questions, again. This nurse tells me they don't worry unless the fever hits 105!?!?! I'm still a little shocked over that and don't see how I could let my child get THAT feverish! But she tells me to keep doing what we've been doing, pedialite and the good 'ol BRAT diet as long as he's no longer vomiting and then if he doesn't get better or starts vomiting again to call back. Fine, whatever. Around 10pm my poor baby falls asleep on the couch and I'm fully prepared to leave him their for the night. I make up a 'bed' for myself on the floor by him and lay down to sleep. NOT! lol

He starts to fuss a bit and I reach up to him to find his little hand just burning hot to the touch. So I grab the thermometer and check his temp...103'!!!!! I'm a little worried now and not able to sleep. So I finally give him some Tylenol, he'd not vomited for over 12hrs, kept a couple crackers down and frankly I'll take the throwing up if the Tylenol will help with the fever. Grandma is back up at this point and gets the cool rag for his head, we decide to do shifts b/c I'm not comfortable with leaving him alone like that. Grandma, bless her heart, says she will stay up for awhile and send me to bed. The first time since a couple hour nap earlier in the afternoon and I'd worked the night before. I check his temp again before heading to bed and it's down now to 102.3 at least it's coming down. I let daddy know what's going on and lay down.

Back up at 4am. Daddy is on shift now and Quinn's recently spit-up/thown-up again. :( BUT the fever is down!!! YAY for that! Obviously he's also had diarrehea with all this also. So, I am up at my computer and Quinn is sleeping on the couch, grunting now and again. He's been asleep for about 1.5hrs...will probably be awake again soon.

I know it's been a bit since I last updated and this is just our last 36hrs or so, I will update more later. Oh and besides me having been sick with a terrible head cold, we have no clue as to where this has come from! But thus far this is our first adventure in flu-ville.

No comments:

Post a Comment